It's no secret that I love smoothies. Starting each day with a fruit-and-vegetable-packed shake makes me feel great, setting the tone for the rest of my day. Whatever your breakfast looks like, it should feel good in your body, keep you mentally focused, and turbocharge you to live your fullest.
Until recently, my smoothies consisted of fruit, greens, and a vegan protein powder. But I decided I didn't want to always rely on a supplement to get that extra nutritional boost. Plus, I was finding that I was hungry again after an hour or two, so I wanted a smoothie that sustained me throughout the entire morning. After lots of experimenting, I came up with this superfood-loaded shake full of nutrient-dense foods like blueberries, spinach, goji berries, cacao nibs, and cashews. Not only does it taste divine, you're getting a ton of nutrition that will power you for hours.
So just what do these "superfoods" do for you? Here's the lowdown:
Blueberries: Packed with antioxidants and vitamin C,
blueberries can improve memory
Spinach: Rich in iron, spinach has been shown to decrease the risk of cancer
Goji berries: Eaten in Asia for centuries, goji berries can help
with diabetes and high blood pressure
Cacao nibs: Antioxidant-loaded cacao nibs—which are simply ground-up cacao beans—can stabilize blood sugar and improve brain function
Cashews: Lower in fat than other nuts, cashews can
decrease the risk of heart disease
After 20 years of drinking smoothies, I feel like this is the king of them all. We're so fortunate to have access to such nutritious food, which lays the foundation for becoming our best selves. Here's to feeling super—all day long!
What you need:
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 frozen banana, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blackberries
- 1 large handful spinach
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon goji berries
- 1 Medjool date
What you do:
- In a high-speed blender, place all ingredients.
- Blend until a creamy consistency.
- >> Although the ingredient list seems long, once you stock your kitchen with the superfood ingredients, this shake can come together in less than a minute. As I always say, I'm all about healthy food fast!
- >> Why Medjool dates? Of course, you can use any type of date you want, but I only buy Medjools. They're gooey, caramelly, and have the best flavor in my book.
- >> Pay a little more for organic frozen fruit (Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are my go-to sources). There are so many reasons to go organic (many of which I'll be sharing on Healthy Vegan!), and it really is an investment in your physical health.