I love the holidays, but with all the cookies and cakes and chocolate, I have to keep things balanced with fresh, healthy meals. This festive salad does just that, but it also makes a great dish to serve to guests—as it’s beautiful and full of flavor and texture. The key is finely chopped Brussels sprouts and kale, toasting the walnuts, and the perfect dressing. Not a fan of Brussels sprouts? I am a relatively new convert and now love them! It’s all in the preparation … try them roasted and then garnished with hazelnuts and dried cranberries!
What you need:
For the salad:
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 apple, julienned
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a large baking sheet, place walnuts and toast for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- For the salad, in a large bowl, combine Brussels sprouts, kale, apple, pomegranate seeds, and walnuts.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to combine.
- >> If you’re looking for a more filling meal, add quinoa or top with baked kabocha squash.
- >> Unlike other salads, you can make this one ahead of time and let it marinade. It just gets better, and can be enjoyed throughout the week!
- >> Switch it up! This salad is versatile and pairs beautifully with hazelnuts, almonds, dried cranberries, and dried cherries.