As soon as November 1 hits, I start craving all the holiday flavors. Seemingly overnight, my meals turn to kabocha squash, pecans, pumpkin, cranberries, and lots of holiday treats. One of my favorite ways to savor the season is with a cup of hot or chilled nog. Sure, you can buy vegan nog at the store, but homemade is so much richer, creamier, and fragrant. I start with cashews, add lots of spices, and then sweeten it with maple syrup. Bourbon is optional, but highly recommended!
What you need:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 ounces (or 6 tablespoons) bourbon (optional)
What you do:
- Into a high-speed blender, add cashews, water, vanilla powder, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- To serve chilled, cover blender (or place nog in separate container) and refrigerate until cold. To serve warm, transfer nog to a small pot over low heat until warm, whisking often.
- Before serving, add bourbon. Pour nog into two mugs or glasses and serve. Garnish with additional nutmeg.
>> The longer the cashew nog chills in the fridge, the more flavorful it becomes!
- >> A shot of bourbon is just one way to enjoy this homemade nog. You can also add it to your morning coffee, whirl it into a nog shake (just add ice!), or make nog ice cream (just blend with frozen bananas).