April is my birthday month, so I thought it was time to create a really special birthday cake that was as beautiful as it was delicious. So here it is! I’ve been making (and enjoying) raw desserts for decades, but there’s nothing like crafting a stunning birthday cake to celebrate with those you love. Reminscent of a flourless chocolate torte with the same richness and decadence, this cake is full of real ingredients, has a creamy cashew filling, and is topped with gorgeous chocolate-dipped strawberries. In my book, it’s always a good time to celebrate life, so keep this recipe on hand for the next time you need a show-stopping dessert.
What you need:
For the crust:
- 1 cup raw almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 8 Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the filling:
- 8 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For the chocolate-dipped strawberries:
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, divided
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
What you do:
- For the crust, into a high-speed blender, add all ingredients and blend until a crumbly mixture forms. Press mixture into a 7-inch springform pan and set aside.
- For the filling, wipe inside of blender clean and add all ingredients. Blend until creamy. Spread half of filling evenly over crust. In a second springform pan, add remaining filling. Transfer both pans to freezer for 2 hours, or until set.
- While the cake layers are setting, make the chocolate-dipped strawberries. In a double boiler, melt dark chocolate. Dip approximately 2/3 of the strawberries in melted chocolate. Set on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- When both cake layers have set, remove from springform pans. Slice remaining strawberries, and arrange on top of first cake layer (the one with the crust). Add second cake layer on top of sliced strawberries.
- Sprinkle top of cake with coconut and decorate with chocolate-dipped strawberries. For a firmer consistency, enjoy immediately, or let soften for 15 minutes for a soft and fudge-like consistency.
- >> Got leftover cake? Store in the freezer and remove to soften 15 minutes before serving.
- >> If you have extra melted chocolate from the dipped strawberries, try drizzling it on top of the cake.
- >> For the best results, a high-speed blender and two springform pans are key.