Sure, we’re used to using fresh lemon juice and even lemon zest. But what about using the whole lemon? That’s what I do in this simple yet somehow magical salad. It’s citrusy from the lemon and crunchy from the toasted pistachios (must be toasted!), and butter lettuce is the perfect carrier. This salad is sublime on a summer day alongside a soup or pasta, and you just have to try it to believe it.
What you need:
- 1 organic lemon
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 cups rinsed and chopped butter lettuce
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
What you do:
- Juice the lemon, and add juice to a medium bowl. Finely chop up the rest of the lemon and add to the same bowl.
- Add vinegar, pistachios, salt, pepper, and parsley. Mix to combine.
- Into a large mixing bowl, add lettuce, beans, and lemon vinaigrette. Toss and serve.
- >> Because this recipe calls for an entire lemon, be sure to use one that’s organic (a homegrown organic lemon is best!).
>> Any kind of white beans (navy beans, great northern beans, etc.) will work well.
>> Toasted nuts impart such superior flavor in recipes. You can toast raw nuts in an oven (350 degrees until fragrant) or over the stove at medium heat until they brown.