Hmmm, avocado toast. I love to take a little more time on the weekends to prepare my favorite avo toast and a frothy chai latte. The key to this avocado toast is olive bread (the saltiness of the bread pairs perfectly with the creaminess of the avocado), pickled red onions (the added depth of flavor is divine), and, of course, a sprinkling of sea salt flakes. While I usually have it for breakfast, it’s perfect for lunch, dinner (serve with soup), or as a healthy snack. Avocados forever!
What you need:
For the pickled red onions:
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup unsweetened rice wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
For the toast:
- 2 thick slices olive bread
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon Maldon sea salt flakes
What you do:
- For the pickled onions, in a jar fitted with a lid, add all ingredients. Screw on lid, place in refrigerator, and allow to pickle for at least two hours, preferably overnight.
- For the toast, lightly toast bread so crisp on the outside but still soft on the inside.
- Into a small bowl, add avocado and lemon juice. Mash together, and spread onto bread slices. Top each slice with lemon zest, sea salt, and pickled onions.
- >> Gluten free? Simply replace bread with baked sweet potato. Check out my Sweet Potato Avocado Toast for an absolutely divine variation of avocado toast.
>> This recipe makes plenty of pickled red onions. Store in the refrigerator and enjoy in bowls, salads, and sandwiches.
>> Fresh bread is key for the perfect avocado toast. I love to pick up a loaf of artisan bread at my farmers’ market, pre-slice, and freeze. That way, I have slices at the ready without the bread going stale.