There’s so much to love about all of the spreadable cheeses on the market today. We all have our favorites, and it’s fun to build a cheese board with all kinds of artisanal, plant-based cheeses, meats, crackers, nuts, and jams. But did you know you can also make your own cashew cheese? It takes just a few ingredients, and there’s no aging required. This Healthy Vegan recipe is salty, herby, and spreadable, and is great to have on hand for sandwiches, salads, or as a dip with vegetables.
Makes 1 cup
What you need:
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- What you do:
- In a small pot, boil water. Add garlic cloves and boil 5 minutes.
- Into a high-speed blender, place blanched garlic, cashews, almond milk, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend 2 minutes, or until completely smooth.
- Pour mixture into a small bowl lined with parchment or cheese cloth. Spread into an even layer. Place in refrigerator 4 hours, or until firm.
- Remove cheese from bowl and place upside down onto serving platter. Sprinkle chives on top, pressing gently into mixture).
>> Why blanch the garlic? Raw garlic can be overpowering in this cheese, so blanching it first helps mellow the flavor.
>> If you don’t have a good, high-speed blender (this one is my fave!), I recommend soaking the cashews overnight to ensure the creamiest consistency.
>> Experiment with different herbs (think lavender, rosemary, or thyme) when making your cheese.