Pesto is so easy to make, but I’m just not a fan of the super-oily versions. So I make mine sans oil but with natural fats from walnuts, pine nuts, and avocado. It’s so nutty and garlicky and fragrant, and has notes of citrus from the fresh lemon juice. What are some delicious ways to eat pesto? Use it as pizza or pasta sauce, as a dip for fresh vegetables, or drizzled on avocado toast. I suggest keeping a container in your fridge at all times!
Makes 1 cup
What you need:
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- ½ ripe avocado
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
What you do:
- Into a high-speed blender, place all ingredients. Blend until desired consistency.
- >> Try different nuts in this pesto. Toasted almonds or hazelnuts work great!
>> Why oil-free? I prefer to get my fats from whole foods, not processed oils—at least when I’m cooking at home.
>> Here’s my favorite avocado toast. Drizzle it with pesto!