Halloween is all about fun treats, so I decided to create a healthy, raw cupcake worthy of any ghoulish affair. These adorable treats are sweet, chocolaty, and topped with a luscious homemade coconut whipped cream. They’re also easy to make, and the perfect baking project for the kiddos in your life. While I love to whip these up at Halloween, they can be enjoyed year round—it’s all about creativity. Happy Halloween!
Makes 12 cupcakes
What you need:
For the dough:
For the filling:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- 1½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- For the whipped cream topping:
2 (15-ounce) cans unsweetened coconut cream, refrigerated overnight
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- Vegan chocolate chips
What you do:
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- For the dough, into a high-speed blender, add walnuts, dates, and salt. Blend until a crumbly mixture forms. Press into cupcake liners, and set aside.
- For the filling, wipe inside of blender clean. Add cashews, cacao powder, coconut, water, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour mixture evenly into cupcake tins.
- For the whipped cream topping, using a handheld or electric mixer, whip coconut cream and vanilla bean powder for 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Place into a piping bag and pipe a tall mound on top of each cupcake. Add chocolate chips for eyes.
- Place cupcakes in freezer for 4 hours, or until set. Remove from freezer and let soften for about 10 minutes before serving.
>> A silicone cupcake mold is a great alternative to cupcake tins and liners.
>> Prefer vanilla over chocolate? Simply omit the cacao powder.