I love a good cup of chai, but I’m not always in the mood for a hot beverage. So when cravings for a dessert-like smoothie kick in, I whirl up this frosty Banana Chai Milkshake. A creamy base of frozen bananas, dates, and walnuts is infused with spices like cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and fresh ginger—and the result is sheer heaven. My version is caffeine-free, but you can always swap the water for black or green tea if you need a little kick!
What you need:
- 1 frozen banana
- 5 Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons raw walnuts
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ cup water
What you do:
- Into a high-speed blender, place all ingredients. Blend to a creamy consistency.
- >> Frozen banana is essential for the extra-creamy texture. I always have a bag of bananas in the freezer for my shakes and ice cream.
- >> Want a richer or more substantial shake? Swap the water for your favorite vegan milk.
>> Make this milkshake boozy by adding a shot of bourbon (or bourbon extract)! Just sayin’.