I don’t remember when chocolate-avocado mousse became a “thing”, but it was a pretty life-changing moment. Avocado and chocolate? Blended into a heavenly, rich and creamy mousse? Who knew! Over the years, I’ve perfected my own healthy vegan recipe, and am so excited to finally share it with you. I use high-quality cacao powder, carmely Medjool dates, and always a pinch of salt to add depth and balance the sweetness. I’ve also included my favorite variations so you can mix it up a bit. It’s always a good time for chocolate!
What you need:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 4 Medjool dates
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs for garnish
What you do:
- Into a high-speed blender, place avocado, cacao powder, dates, vanilla bean powder, sea salt, and water. Blend to a creamy consistency.
- Transfer to serving glass and top with cacao nibs. Enjoy immediately or store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
For Chocolate Peppermint Mousse:
Add ⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract + fresh mint for garnish
For Chocolate Raspberry Mousse:
Add ¼ teaspoon raspberry extract + fresh raspberries for garnish
For Chocolate Orange Mousse:
Add 1 teaspoon Cointreau + orange zest for garnish
- >> Whenever I serve this mousse to friends, no one can believe it’s made with avocado! For an extra special dessert, top with a dollop of coconut whipped cream.
- >> I love chocolate for breakfast, and usually top my morning mousse with fresh berries, coconut, cacao nibs, and cashews.
- >> I feel the quality of the cacao powder is really important, and try to stay away from the overly processed, more-standard cocoa powders on the market. Here’s my current favorite cold-pressed, raw cacao powder!