I first had figs in a smoothie at Café Gratitude in San Francisco. One of their signature shakes was a chocolate smoothie made with hazelnut milk, figs, dates, and cacao. I love the combination of figs and dates, and in this version, I use my homemade hazelnut milk (see my recipe here). While this smoothie tastes like dessert, it’s perfect for breakfast, as it’s energizing (no coffee needed) and full of nutrition. I could drink one every single morning!
What you need:
- 4 dried figs
- 4 Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- 1 cup hazelnut milk
- 1 cup ice
What you do:
- Into a high-speed blender, place all ingredients. Blend to a creamy consistency.
- >> Dried figs make for an extra-sweet flavor (which I love), but you can always use fresh figs. Figs are fat-free, low in calories, and packed with fiber.
- >> Instead of boxed milks in smoothies, I often add a few tablespoons of nuts and then water. When whirled in my trusty Vitamix, you won’t even know the difference! It’s easier, cheaper, and healthier.
- >> Yes, I love my chocolate in the morning, but this shake also makes a great healthy dessert. Make it extra thick so it’s like ice cream!