I first had figs in a smoothie at Cafe Gratitude in San Francisco. One of their signature shakes was a chocolate smoothie made with hazelnut milk, figs, dates, and cacao. I love the combination of figs and dates, and in my version, I simply toss in a handful of hazelnuts and add water. It’s pretty much the same thing, but, of course, you can also use homemade hazelnut milk (see my recipe here). While this smoothie tastes like dessert, it’s perfect for breakfast, as it’s energizing (no coffee needed) and full of nutrition. I could drink one every single morning!
What you need:
- 4 dried figs
- 3 Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons raw hazelnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ice
What you do:
- Into a high-speed blender, place all ingredients. Blend to a creamy consistency.
- >> Dried figs make for an extra-sweet flavor (which I love), but you can always use fresh figs. Figs are fat-free, low in calories, and packed with fiber.
- >> Rather than use boxed milks in smoothies, I like to add a few tablespoons of nuts and then water. When whirled in my trusty Vitamix, you won’t even know the difference! It’s easier, cheaper, and healthier.
- >> Yes, I love my chocolate in the morning, but this shake also makes a great healthy dessert. Make it extra thick so it’s like ice cream!