As soon as strawberry season hits, I buy them by the flat and eat them pretty much every single day. If the berries start to get too ripe, I freeze them so that I can enjoy smoothies all year long. One year, after having a freezer overflowing with sweet strawberries, I created this recipe for a strawberry chocolate shake, and now I whirl it up every chance I get. The creaminess comes from cashews, frozen banana, and almond milk, and the sweetness is from the strawberries and Medjool dates. And with the addition of cacao powder and cacao nibs (be sure not to completely blend the nibs), it’s like chocolate-strawberry bliss with a little bit of crunch.
Makes 1 shake
What you need:
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 Medjool dates
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
What you do:
- Into a high-speed blender, place all ingredients except cacao nibs. Blend until a creamy consistency.
- Add cacao nibs and lightly pulse so milkshake has a little crunch.
- >> Fresh strawberries also work, but be sure to add a cup of ice to ensure the milkshake is nice and frosty.
>> For more strawberry treats, try my Strawberry Shortcake Bars, Homemade Strawberry Hazelnut Milk, and Strawberries & Creme Milkshake.
>> Opt for organic strawberries whenever possible, as they’re more flavorful, nutritious, and have a longer shelf life than conventional strawberries.