While I’ve never had non-vegan Banoffee pie before, I have enjoyed the super-sweet, super-rich, plant-based version many times. Think layers of biscuits, bananas, cream, and caramel, all in one single show-stopping dessert. While the English pie is always a crowd favorite, I decided I wanted a healthier version, so created these just-as-good Banoffee parfaits that ooze all the original flavors. They make a lovely dessert for company, and can be prepared in advance (just keep in refrigerator).
What you need:
For the crust:
- ½ cup raw macadamia nuts
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup packed Medjool dates, divided
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
For the caramel filling:
- 1 ½ cups packed Medjool dates
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
For the topping:
- 1 can unsweetened coconut cream
- 2 bananas, sliced
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
What you do:
- For the crust, into a high-speed blender, add macadamia nuts, cashews, dates, and salt. Blend until a crumbly mixture forms. Evenly scoop mixture into 6 small jars.
- For the caramel filling, into same blender, add dates, water, and vanilla bean powder. Blend until smooth and caramel-like, and evenly distribute into jars.
- For the topping, into a medium bowl, add coconut cream (the top thick part only) and whisk until light and fluffy. Onto each jar, add banana slices, a dollop of whipped coconut cream, and cacao nibs.
>> For a subtle coffee flavor, add crushed coffee beans after cacao nibs.
>> The combination of macadamia nuts and cashews work beautifully, but any nut will work.
>> Use bananas that aren’t overly ripe, as just ripe will yield the best results.