With warmer weather comes the season of strawberries—and blueberries and blackberries and cherries. A big bowl of juicy, organic berries (mixed or just one kind) in the morning or after dinner always makes me happy. In fact, whenever I visit my mom in Santa Cruz, I always try to take Highway 1 so I can stop at my favorite farm stand and load up on the sweetest, most succulent strawberries I've found. Picking up a few baskets (or a full flat for freezing) straight from the farm is such a memorable experience.
The beauty of this Strawberries & Creme Milkshake is that it can be made with fresh berries (simply add a little ice so it's nice and cold) or frozen berries year-round (be sure to buy organic!). This creamy shake is a real treat and takes just one minute to prepare. It's sweet, smooth, and satisfying—and although it feels rich and decadent, it's healthy and perfect for a mid-morning pick-me-up or as a dessert.
Sometimes I pour the milkshake into a wine glass so it feels extra special.
Hey, life is short, so find joy and beauty in everything you do!
What you need:
- 3 tablespoons raw almonds
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 Medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon lucuma powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup water
What you do:
- In a high-speed blender, place all ingredients.
- Blend until a creamy consistency.
- >> If you're using fresh strawberries, make sure they're nice and ripe. You want sweet berries for this milkshake!
- >> Lucuma is a fruit grown in Peru that is dehydrated and sold in natural-food stores and online. The touted "superfood" adds a delicious, ice-cream-like flavor to your shakes and is packed with potassium, calcium, and protein.
>> There's nothing like fresh, homemade nut milks, but I don't have time to soak or strain anything. By using a handful of raw almonds as the base for this milkshake, I get the creaminess I desire in just seconds!